Saturday, October 2, 2010

Duh nuh nuh nuuuuh, duh nuh nuuuuuh, duh nuh nuh nuuuuuuh, dun nuh nuh nuh nuh

That's the Indiana Jones theme song. Just read the title of the post again and it will all make sense to you, I promise.

Last night, the program got back from a weekend trip to Wadi Rum, Aqaba, Wadi Musa, the Red Sea and Petra. Southern Jordan is beautiful and I'm looking forward to going back as soon as possible. I rode a camel (twice). I have a series of cuts on my thigh and shin from a run-in with some Red Sea coral that will most likely result in the coolest scar ever as the pattern vaguely resembles an old dance instruction mat, complete with little shoe prints. I hiked through Wadi Rum and down throug Little Petra, the monastary and the treasury, sometimes with my friends and sometimes on my own. I met a nice guy from San Francisco whose parents distribute USAID grants. I got to see where Indiana Jones went to look for some shit in that one movie. I saw some people acting like assholes. I saw some people acting like saints. I met the people Jack Sparrow stole his style from. I slept under the stars in a valley in a desert. I woke up with sand in my hair, my nose, my eyelashes, my belly button and a few other places I'd really care not to discuss. I have a six-inch long mystery scratch on my forearm. I was awoken by cats on the roof. I smoked some very nice (read: strong) unflavored Egyptian tobacco.

I rode out on a camel with an Egyptian man, my friend Gary and 3 Japanese tourists, drank some tea and watched the sun rise over the red rocks and peach sand of the Jordanian desert.

Forgive the 2nd grade writing techniques -- all of these stories would be way to long for anyone to have any interest in reading. You'll hear them all when I get back! Don't worry, though....piecemeal.

Peace,
anneke

No comments:

Post a Comment